Kilimanjaro Trekking via Rongai Route 6 / 7 days
$1990 per person
The “desert route“ has its own very special charm
The Rongai route leads across the rarely used, rain-poor northeast flank of Kilimanjaro. The route starts near the Kenyan border, and offers great views of the Kenyan savannah and rugged Mawenzi. The trail leads first through fir forest and lighter rainforest, whilst at the Mawenzi Tarn Camp you will pass the only mountain lake on Kilimanjaro. The mountain massif is exceeded during this tour, and the descent is via the Marangu route. Due to the drier climate, the route is also suitable for ascents during the rainy season. The route is relatively easy, but some rock passages in the summit area require a certain degree of surefootedness.
We recommend the Rongai route as a 7 day tour. For very fit mountain hikers, the 6 day tour is also suitable. The second day of the 6 day tour walks directly from the Simba Camp to the Kikelewa Camp, as the
intermediate stage over the Second Cave Camp is omitted.
- Exceeding the Kilimanjaro
- Ascent via the Rongai route, descent via the Marangu route
- Very varied route from the dry north to the lush south
- Great views in the savannah and on the Mawenzi, on the route is the only mountain lake at Kilimanjaro
- Total distance of about 70 km
Rongai route 5 days Prices:
- $1,990 per person when 1 person travels alone
- $1,720 per person when 2 persons travel together
- $1,560 per person when 3-4 persons travel together
- $1,530 per person when 5-6 persons travel together
- $1,480 per person when 7 persons travel together
Rongai route 7 days Prices:
- $2,250 per person when 1 person travels alone
- $1,960 per person when 2 persons travel together
- $1,810 per person when 3-4 persons travel together
- $1,760 per person when 5-6 persons travel together
- $1,730 per person when 7 persons travel together
Single accommodation is not possible on this tour, as the overnight stays take place in mountain huts with multiple occupancy.
DeparturePlease arrive by 9:15 AM for a prompt departure at 9:30 AM.
Departure TimeApproximately 9:30 PM.
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, hiking shoes, hat and warm jacket.
IncludedAirport pick up and drop offAll entrance park feesCamping equipmentFull board accommodation whilst on safariMountain crew (cook & porters)Overnight stays in tentsProfessional guideTransfers in both directions between Kilimanjaro International Airport & Arusha
Not IncludedAlcoholic and soft drinksMeals not listed aboveOptional toursPersonal ExpensesSafari jeep with pop up roof for game viewingSleeping bagTanzania visaTips and any items of personal natureTravel insurance