Kilimanjaro Trekking via Umbwe Route 5 days
$1820 per person
The most difficult route up Kilimanjaro
The Umbwe route has a well-deserved reputation of being the most challenging route on Mount Kilimanjaro. Due to the fast ascent to high altitude, this route does not provide the necessary stages for acclimatization. Although the number of people on this trail is very low, the chances of success are also low. Umbwe is considered to be very difficult, taxing route – one that should only be attempted by strong hikers who are confident in their ability to acclimatize quickly to altitude.
Approaching from the south, the Umbwe route is a short, steep and direct climb. After reaching Barranco Camp, the trail turns east and traverses underneath Kilimanjaro’s Southern Ice Field on a path known as the Southern Circuit before summiting from Barafu. Descent is made via the Mweka route.
- Most scenic route at Kilimanjaro
- Climbing passage in the Barranco Wall, surefootedness required
- Ascent over Umbwe route and descent over the Mweka route
- Height profile does no positive effect on acclimatization
- $1,540 per person when 1 person travels alone
- $1,360 per person when 2 persons travel together
- $1,260 per person when 3-4 persons travel together
- $1,240 per person when 5-6 persons travel together
- $1,230 per person when 7 persons travel together
Single accommodation is not possible on this tour, as the overnight stays take place in mountain huts with multiple occupancy.
DeparturePlease arrive by 9:15 AM for a prompt departure at 9:30 AM.
Departure TimeApproximately 9:30 PM.
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, hiking shoes, hat and warm jacket.
IncludedAirport pick up and drop offAll entrance park feesCamping equipmentFull board accommodation whilst on safariMountain crew (cook & porters)Overnight stays in tentsProfessional guideTransfers in both directions between Kilimanjaro International Airport & Arusha
Not IncludedAlcoholic and soft drinksMeals not listed aboveOptional toursPersonal ExpensesSafari jeep with pop up roof for game viewingSleeping bagTanzania visaTips and any items of personal natureTravel insurance